Standard car tire pressure helps increase tire life and performance, ensuring driver safety. Find out what tire pressure is, and how to measure car tire pressure to the maximum effect with Enjoyreview through the following article.
What is car tire pressure?
The pressure of air compressed inside the tire is called tire pressure, with the most common unit of measurement for car tire pressure, today being 1 Kg/cm2, PSI, KPa, or Bar.
- 1 Kg/cm2 = 14,2 PSI
- 1 PSI (Pound per square inch) = 6,895 KPa.
- 1 KPa = 0,01 Bar.
Most tires with 4 seats or more such as Sedan, Hatchback, MPV, or 2-seater mini -trucks are at a standard level of 27 – 32 PSI. Some models with special tires can have tire pressures up to 40 PSI. Specifically, the standard Vios car tire pressure is from 2.2 kg to 2.3 kg. For tires according to the car, 4 wheels are the same, and no car model inflates up to 3kg.
For 7-seat SUVs or large pickups, the standard pressure can be higher than 4 – 8 PSI and can reach 45 PSI.
If a wheel is inflated with the right amount of tire pressure and properly, it will create the right amount of friction from the wheel to the road surface, from there, the car will operate smoothly, have stable cornering ability, and support good braking. and maximize fuel economy. Besides, stable car tire pressure makes the wear on the wheels even and increases the life of the wheels.
How to measure tire pressure
Here is the most common way to measure car tire pressure today:
Step 1: Prepare a full range of tire pressure gauges
Tire pressure gauges include:
- Tire pressure gauges: Currently on the market there are two types of tire pressure gauges, which are a standard analog clock and an electronic meter that uses a battery or a 12V electrical port. In addition, customers can also use air compressors sold at most car tire stores.
- Pen and paper
Step 2: Check the tire pressure recommended by the manufacturer
Usually, this information will be posted on the seat door frame or in the vehicle owner’s manual. If you can’t find it, you can ask a car repair specialist.
Step 3: Remove the valve cover from the tire
Step 4: Set the tire pressure gauge
Place the tire pressure gauge on the valve stem and press firmly to make the squeal disappear. Then, the tire pressure gauge will display the information. Different tire pressure gauges will display different parameter screens. For example, a standard gauge will show the pressure reading needle when measuring. The electronic watch will display a specific number on the screen.
Step 5: Note the tire pressure level
Use a pen and paper to record the pressure level of each tire, in case each tire has a different pressure gauge.
Read more: Prinx Tires Review – Must Read Before Buying
Car tire pressure chart
The standard tire pressure chart helps the driver to inflate the tires to the right standards so that the vehicle operates accurately, and smoothly and saves fuel. Here is the pressure chart of some popular cars:
Ford Everest 7-seat car tire pressure
|Front tire pressure||Front tire pressure||Rear tire pressure||Rear tire pressure|
|Tire Size||265/60R18 110T||265/60R18 110T||265/60R18 110T||265/60R18 110T|
|Passenger||1 – 3||4 – 7||1 – 3||4 – 7|
|2.1 bar30psi210kPa||2.4 bar35psi240kPa||2.1 bar30psi210kPa||3.0 bar44psi300kPa|
|ECO||2.4 bar35psi240kPa||2.4 bar35psi240kPa||2.4 bar35psi240kPa||3.0 bar44psi300kPa|
Honda Civic 7-seat car tire pressure
|Tire Size||Passenger||Front tire pressure||Rear tire pressure|
|215/50 R17 91V||1-5 ~160km/h||220 kPa2.2 bar32 psi||220 kPa2.2 bar32 psi|
|215/50 R17 91V||1-5 160km/h~||240 kPa2.2 bar35 psi||230 kPa2.4 bar33 psi|
|215/50 R17 91V||Drag||220 kPa2.2 bar32 psi||270 kPa2.7 bar39 psi|
Tire pressure for 7-seat Hyundai Santa Fe
|Tire Size||Load||Front tire pressure||Rear tire pressure|
|235/65R17 104H235/60R18 107V235/55R19 101V||Normal||240 kPa35 psi2.4 bar||240 kPa35 psi2.4 bar|
|235/65R17 104H235/60R18 107V235/55R19 101V||Max||240 kPa35 psi2.4 bar||240 kPa35 psi2.4 bar|
|T165/90R17 116M||Normal||420 kpa60 psi4.2 bar||420 kPa60 psi4.2 bar|
|T165/90R17 116M||Max||420 kPa60 psi4.2 bar||420 kPa60 psi4.2 bar|
Kia Seltos . 5-seat car tire pressure
|Tire Size||Passenger||Front tire pressure||Rear tire pressure|
|205/60R16 92H215/55R17 94V235/45R18 94V||1 – 3||230 kPa33 psi2.3 bar||230 kPa33 psi2.3 bar|
|205/60R16 92H215/55R17 94V235/45R18 94V||4 – 5||250 kPa36 psi2.5 bar||250 kPa3 psi2.5 bar|
Tire pressure 4-5 seats Toyota Camry
|Tire Size||Front tire pressure||Rear tire pressure||Spare tireT155/70D17 110M|
|205/55R16 91V||240 kPa2.4 bar35 psi||240 kPa2.4 bar35 psi||420 kPa4.2 bar61 psi|
Experience measuring tire pressure and important notes
Time to check car tire pressure
Manufacturers recommend that car owners only measure car pressure when cold and at normal temperature to get the most accurate results. Usually, after 3 hours of parking, do this inspection. If for any other reason it is necessary to immediately check the tire pressure of the car at high temperatures, it should be reduced by 3 -4 PSI.
In addition, car owners need to periodically check car tire pressure every 14 days / with 4 wheels and also auxiliary wheels, including wheels that often move or not.
Use a high-precision car tire pressure gauge
Currently on the market provide a variety of car tire pressure gauges, including 3 popular types:
- Needle pump and tire pressure gauge.
- Electronic tire pressure gauge and gauge.
- Sensor hand-held tire pressure gauge and gauge
Should choose watches with a clear, genuine origin and with specific instructions for use. Some of the prominent product lines that customers can refer to are as follows:
- Michelin 12262 tire pressure sensor; 12264; 12266
- Comodo 6312D; MBC6222; MBC6218; MBC6216
- Lifepro L637 AC; L636-AC;
- Slime (also available in the US)
- Projecta Cyclone and Typhoon
- Air Compressor
In the above types of meters, to limit errors, battery-powered car tire pressure gauges need to be checked regularly because the low battery status also affects the test process quite a lot. As for the sensor meter or meter using 12V power, it is also necessary to check the socket carefully before measuring the car tire parameters.
If the car owner cannot measure the tire pressure on his own, he can take the car to a service center or repair garage to be measured by experts more accurately.
Read tire parameters and measure tire pressure as recommended by the manufacturer
Usually, this information will be posted on the seat door frame or in the vehicle owner’s manual. If you can’t find it, you can ask a car repair specialist. From the manufacturer’s recommended parameters, car owners will make appropriate measurements as follows:
- If the measurement result is too high or too low compared to the normal readings of the tire. Most likely because the device is not properly connected to the valve head, remove it and try again.
- If the reading is higher than the manufacturer’s recommended level, press the valve head to deflate, and check the reading again.
- If the reading is lower than the manufacturer recommends, inflate to a safe pressure.
Just like that, the tire pressure measurement and inflation will have to be based on the original manufacturer’s specifications so that the tire is not over-inflated or under-inflated.
Adjust car tire pressure according to season
Summer and winter represent heat and cold, and car tires will also have different expansions depending on the season. Therefore, the pressure inside the tires is also not the same from season to season. As follows:
- In the summer, when the temperature is high, the air inside the tire will expand more than usual, car owners should measure the tire pressure and should inflate the tire a little less than the manufacturer’s recommendation. , to ensure that when the tire heats up, the pressure does not exceed the tolerance of the tire wall.
- If your vehicle is often left in a place where the temperature is lower than outside, you should also reduce the pump pressure to about 3 – 4 psi compared to the standard 40 psi.
- If the tire pressure environment is equal to the outside temperature, it should be according to the manufacturer’s specifications
- On the contrary, in winter, the air inside the car tire will shrink, so the car owner should only inflate the tire pressure just enough so that when the tire heats up, the internal pressure still reaches the ideal level.
- If you’re inflating your car in a garage or in a place where it’s about 10 degrees Celsius warmer than outside, it’s a good idea to inflate the tire pressure above the tire pressure recommended by the manufacturer.
- If you are outdoors, you only need to pump to the correct standard pressure of 32 psi.
In general, the correct car pressure measurement system will ensure the addition or reduction of compressed air in the vehicle class following the conditions of use and weather. This is meant to limit the testing difficulties transferred on the road because the tires are too under or over-inflated. To put it simply, if the wheel is too young, the friction force is large with the surface, creating a deformed surface, which may be deformed, the surface is either concave or uneven to reduce the service life. On the contrary, the tires will also limit the braking of the vehicle when moving.
Read more: Lionhart Tires Review